8.17.2008

VICKY CRISTINA BARCELONA



The only bullshit thing about Vicky Cristina Barcelona was the slip of paper they call a movie ticket. I really need high-priced Landmark Theatre to step their shit up before I start printing my own gotdamn ticket stubs. We all caught the 7pm show and some of us accidentally threw the $10.50 slips of paper away, mistaking them for flimsy valet receipts. But enough of that. If I had to end my summer with a movie that left me full, this was it. One of my favorite discussions surrounds the theory of monogamy. While there are few animal species that form a lifelong union, I don’t believe that humans were meant to be in that 3-5%. Divorce rates, violent deaths due to infidelity, Cheaters, you feel where I’m going? Like religion, we sometimes get swept away into this standard of true love, forcing us to impose our jealousies and possessiveness onto a person who belongs to no one but her/himself. Dismantling any convictions about love you had prior to its viewing, Vicky Cristina proves that there are many. And as my boy Larenz put it, or was it Isaiah, love is what you make it. I mentioned before that Scarlett is my BB but gave little spotlight to MissCruz (4.28). Remember how awesome Gothika was and while brief, Penelope stole the shine from Halle. It’s the same with Vicky Cristina! She steps on the scene and every other character loses some of their luster, including the confident, desirable, sexual being called Juan Antonio played by Javier Bardem. Her Latina spice and humor make this cinematic experience complete. For 96m I was in Barcelona, spying on these people’s lives, loves, lack thereofs, feeling very much alive. The plots are intricate, yet so believable and the cast executes w.out force. {I know, I’m way too serious.} But there are so many moments where we read their faces and know that Penelope, Scarlett and Javier are in the moment. Was I the only one who wanted the 3some to succeed? Was Cristina afraid of taking it there, accepting that her relationship consisted of a unit that actually worked? Or was she simply trying shit out until it was time for the next adventure? The answer is D. All of the above. Lots of laughs, lots of creamin’ and lots of what ifs, thanks Woody for making me feel.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"Was I the only one who wanted the 3some to succeed? Was Cristina afraid of taking it there, accepting that her relationship consisted of a unit that actually worked?" ~~TWIG

That move was soooooo on fucking time, THANKS AGAIN AND AGAIN for that one mama....I think Christina was a little afraid, her "idea" of what love is would be crushed by such a 3some suceeding and some folk just gotta hard time realizing exactly what you pointed out...."no one belongs to anyone--only themselves"...I hope everyone finds what they are "looking for"....CHEERS!

~~until the next time....

O!

P.S.
GIRRRRRRRRL, IMMA FUCK YOU UP....talking bout me losing my 'flimsy' ticket and all (LMAO!)
(but imma need Landmark to stop playin...seriously)



LSS