6.19.2008

A STORY OF BETRAYAL OR COMMON SENSE?



THE DEEPER THE COVER, 
THE DARKER THE SECRET.


A film by Bill Duke











Always skeptical when a new Black indie film hits the market, I heard that BillDuke (2.26) (Menace to Society, "you know you fucked up?") dropped a straight to dvd joint about the down low, exploring the ramifications where leading a double life is concerned and how it ruins a woman's perspective on love, family and relationships. I usually give a flic fifteen minutes before I decide if it's a keeper or accidentally scratch the disc so that the return will go smoothly. Five minutes into Cover I was hooked. The movie opens with Valerie Maas played by Aunjanue Ellis (In Too Deep, Ray) as the prime suspect for the murder of a famous singer, Ryan Chambers (Leon). I won't give too much away although a smart cookie can piece together the puzzle after the first half...most of it anyway. Valerie's naivete' and outlook is like most women who ignore the signs of a man who is, well suspect. I've ignored them in more instances than I care to remember, but who am I to judge or pull out my gaythermometer any time I sense a little femininity? If I did that, then every boyfriend--past, present and future share the DL gene. But no seriously, it's quite obvious in the movie and in reality that the signs are almost always evident. However, it is a woman's right to know if the man you trust and love likes a little pudding on his stick. Reiterated, the right to know, the right to share the experience (sometimes a man can have his cake and eat it too), or the right to walk away. When the world gets over the idea of two men together and acknowledges the fact that we are all curious and attracted to one another in this big ol' gay world, then the so-called DL epidemic won't be too hard to swallow. Until that happens, let a mafucka know. 

Aural Inspiration: 
Dru Hill, What Are We Gonna Do 
{Ummm, was I the only one who thought this was an ode to a D.L. love affair that could never be}

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love you wombie! SOOOOO thas how you felt about the movie huh?